Crispy Artichoke Salad With Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper FondueRecipe By: Jamie Kennedy
This satisfying salad is easy to assemble if you’ve made the tomato and roasted red pepper fondue (a fancy name for purée) ahead of time. Fry the artichokes and toss the greens just before serving.
Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Fondue
- 3 plum tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 roasted red peppers, peeled and seeded
- 3 baby artichokes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 bunches arugula
- 1 head Boston lettuce
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F, halve tomatoes and place cut-side up on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for 30 minutes, or until they’re shrivelled. Transfer to food processor. Add roasted red peppers and purée. Pass through fine strainer, discard seeds and reserve.
Prepare & Fry Artichokes
- Remove outer leaves of artichokes and cut into quarters, lengthwise. Pare away fibrous “choke” and cut quarters in half to make 24 pieces.
- In small, heavy-bottomed pan, heat olive oil to 350°F. Working in batches, fry artichoke pieces for 2 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain.
- In bowl, toss arugula and lettuce with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle small pool of tomato fondue in center of each plate.
- Place mound of salad on fondue. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and add to each salad, then top with four pieces of artichoke.