July 12, 2016
David Rocco’s Bolognese Sauce
Even though Bolognese doesn’t contain any meatballs, my son, Dante, calls this my “meatball sauce.” It’s his favorite sauce, and it’s become mine, too. It’s rich and hearty and goes with any type of pasta.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
Cook Veggies And Meat
1. Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat. When it starts to shimmer, add onion, celery and carrots. Let cook until soft and somewhat translucent, so flavors come together, and become sweet and intense.
2. Add butter, and ground beef and pork. Increase heat to high.
3. Cook, stirring frequently so nothing sticks to bottom of pan, until moisture in meat has been released and meat is lightly browned.
4. Add wine, stir again to pick up any bits on bottom of pan, and cook until most liquid has evaporated.
5. Add milk and cook until milk has reduced by 3⁄4.
6. Stir in passata and salt. Reduce heat to low and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for a few hours to let flavors come together and intensify.
Serve Or Store
7. Serve sauce. Or cool sauce completely, then store in airtight container in fridge for up to 1 week or in freezer up to 4 months.