July 12, 2017
David Rocco’s Meatballs With Tomato Sauce
Passata is strained crushed tomatoes; it’s uncooked and contains no seeds.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
1. In mixing bowl, combine ground beef and pork, ricotta, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
2. Using hands, scoop up mixture and shape into balls about size of golf balls.
Cook Meatballs And Sauce
3. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add onion and cook until translucent.
4. Add meatballs and wine, and cook until wine reduces by half.
5. Add passata and salt and pepper, and bring mixture to slight boil. Reduce heat to low and let cook, uncovered, up to 90 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and let rest with lid on for about 1 hour before serving.