November 17, 2016
Dora Bradley’s Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs
Too much flour makes cookies dense. Spoon flour into a measuring cup before levelling off with a knife to get an accurate amount.
Yield: Makes 24
Make And Chill Dough
- Stir flour with baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Gather dough into a ball then cut in half. Press each half into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, 2 hours.
Roll, Cut And Bake Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1⁄4″ thickness. Cut out into desired shapes. Repeat with remaining dough. Dough scraps can be rerolled once. Arrange on ungreased baking sheet, about 1″ apart.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges turn golden. Transfer to baking rack to cool.
- Mix icing sugar with 2 tbsp milk or water. Add more drops if needed. Icing should be thick, smooth and spreadable, but not runny.
- Spread thin layer of icing over cookies and sprinkle with edible gold- or silver-leaf flakes.
House & Home December 2015
Food styling, David Grenier; Prop styling, Sasha Seymour
Tags: Holiday Cookies Recipe