October 22, 2014
Easy Chicken Tagine
With one large skillet and some readily available ingredients, you can make a zippy North African meal that calls on spicy harissa paste, found at Middle Eastern markets. Serve it over easy-to-make couscous for a filling dish.
Yield: Serves 4
- Put couscous in large bowl; pour boiled water overtop. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- Season chicken breasts with sea salt and pepper, then coat with the spicy harissa and marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high and cook chicken until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and add more oil if necessary. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add lemon juice and stock and bring to a boil, scraping browned bits off bottom of pan. Add chicken back to pan, along with lemon zest, apricots, olives and chickpeas. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Stir in herbs, sprinkle with almonds and serve over couscous.
House & Home October 2011