December 16, 2015
Eggnog Nanaimo Bars
Rum adds a rich eggnog flavor to the filling, but if you prefer to omit it, increase the vanilla extract by 1⁄2 tsp and milk by 2 tbsp.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, includes chilling time
Yield: Makes 18 Bars
Make And Bake Base
- Arrange oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 325°F.
- Grease 9″ x 9″ baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving overhang.
- Melt butter with sugar, cocoa powder and salt in saucepan over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool. Whisk in vanilla, then egg. Stir in coconut and graham- cracker crumbs.
- Scrape into prepared baking pan and smooth into even layer. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until skewer inserted into base comes out with few crumbs. Let cool.
Make Filling And Chill
- Beat butter, custard powder, icing sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in rum, milk and vanilla.
- Spread over cooled base. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
Make Topping And Chill
- Melt chocolate with coconut oil in saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Pour chocolate over filling and spread evenly. Refrigerate until chocolate is almost set, about 30 minutes.
- Using a knife, gently score chocolate into 1 1⁄2″ x 3″ bars; this will make them easier to cut when fully chilled. Return to fridge and let cool about 30 more minutes. Cut into bars. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.