Best Barbecue Chicken
Nothing says summer like chicken on the ‘cue. Take the guesswork out of grilling with a recipe fine-tuned over years of first hand experience.This chicken is seasoned with a dry rub, basted with a mop sauce then served with homemade barbecue sauce. Mop sauce is a spicy vinegar used to baste pork or chicken while it’s being grilled or smoked. It really makes the flavours sparkle.
Yield: Serves 4-6
This chicken is seasoned with a dry rub, basted with a mop sauce then served with barbecue sauce. Mop sauce is a spicy vinegar used to baste pork or chicken while it’s being grilled or smoked. It really makes the flavours sparkle.
- To make rub, mix all ingredients in a bowl until evenly coloured. Transfer to an airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 6 months.
- Using a heavy cleaver or poultry shears, remove wing tips and back bone from chicken. (Freeze these for future stock.) Place chicken on cutting board, skin side up. With palm of hand, press down on breast to flatten chicken. Season with rub to taste. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Tip: To save time, ask your butcher to butterfly the chicken for you.
- Remove chicken from fridge. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- To make mop sauce, stir together vinegar, chili, pepper, salt and shallot in small bowl.
- Preheat grill to high. Reduce heat to medium-low. Clean and oil grate, and add chicken. Close lid and cook, turning occasionally and basting with mop sauce, until chicken is cooked through, 45 minutes. (If you’re using charcoal, build a fire, push coals to the side and place a foil pan in the empty space to catch drippings. Place chicken on grate over foil pan, cover grill and adjust vents so they’re half open. Grill indirectly, basting with mop sauce, until cooked through, 45 to 60 minutes.)
- Rest chicken 15 to 20 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.