Greek Orzo SaladRecipe By: Amy Rosen
Packed with veggies, chickpeas and cheese, this is a great main for Meatless Mondays.
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 clove garlic, minced with pinch of sea salt
- Juice of 1 small lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 5 oz. clam shell of baby spinach
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1 small handful fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Salt generously and cook orzo following package directions (about 8 to 10 minutes). Drain and rinse under cold water. Transfer to serving bowl.
- In the meantime, to make dressing, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and more salt (if needed). Add dressing to orzo and gently toss.
- Rinse out the orzo cooking pot and add spinach, 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp cold water. Purée with a hand blender in the pot, until spinach is smooth. Add to orzo bowl.
- Lightly toast pine nuts in a small, dry skillet over medium heat (watch them closely — they burn easily). Add toasted pine nuts and remaining ingredients to orzo and gently toss. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.