March 28, 2016
Green Burgers With Sauce
Green is my favorite color and greens are my favorite foods, so wherever I can I try to eat them in as many diﬀerent, creative ways as possible. These green burgers are surprisingly ﬁlling and utlerly tasty—so go green!
Yield: Serves 3 to 4
- To make the green sauce, blend all the ingredients roughly in a food processor. For the burgers, blanch the baby peas and baby fava beans in salted boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, then scoop out and put into iced water. Once cold, drain and set aside.
- Blanch the spinach, basil and parsley together for 1 minute, then scoop out and put into iced water. Squeeze the cooked spinach and herbs with your hands to get rid of as much water as possible.
- Put all the ingredients, except the egg and the coconut oil, into a food processor. Add the egg gradually while pulsing the mixture into a rough paste (not too smooth). Using your hands, form the mixture into 12 small rounds and ﬂatten each one slightly to form burgers.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a small, deep, non-stick frying pan—the oil should be approximately 1⁄8 inch deep. Working in batches, lay the green patties in the pan and lower the heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve the green burgers with a little green salad and the green sauce.
Photography copyright© 2016 Susan Bell. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada Ltd., a penguin Random House company. All rights reserved.
Excerpted from Cook.Nourish.Glow. by Amelia Freer. Copyright © 2016 Amelia Freer.