November 20, 2015
Grilled Kale And Romaine Salad
Famed French chef Daniel Boulud and chef de cuisine Sylvain Assié of Cafe Boulud Four Seasons Toronto share a hearty salad recipe featuring kale, romaine, carrots, black olives and golden raisins drizzled in a spiced yogurt dressing.
Yield: 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toast the cumin and coriander in a pan on the stove over medium heat until aromatic. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Blend fine in a spice grinder and reserve ¼ tsp for the yogurt dressing. Peel the carrots and cut in half lengthwise. Season the carrots with the cumin and coriander spice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in oven for between 10-15 minutes.
- Take the one reserved raw carrot and slice paper thin on a mandolin and deep fry at 275°F until crispy.
- Heat 1 cup of water to a boil. Steep the tea for 3 minutes. Remove the bag and cover the raisins with the liquid. Allow to cool. Strain raisins and discard tea liquid.
- Clean the stems from the kale then rinse and dry. Massage olive oil on kale leaves and add a light coating of salt and pepper. Clean the romaine, cut in half lengthwise and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill the kale leaves for 1 minute over medium heat. Grill the heads of romaine for 1 minute on each side. Let the romaine cool and cut into 1 inch chunks. Place the green onions on the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Remove when lightly charred and soft cut into 3 pieces.
- For the yogurt dressing, mix all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together well.
- In a large salad bowl mix the carrots, kale, romaine, green onions, raisins, olives. Check the seasoning and adjust.
- Place 1 tbsp of the yogurt dressing in a thin layer on the salad plate and arrange the salad on top of the dressing. Top the salad with the crisp carrot chips.
Courtesy of Four Seasons Toronto