Grilled Kale And Romaine SaladRecipe By: Chef Daniel Boulud and Chef De Cuisine Sylvain Assié of Café Boulud Four Seasons Toronto
Famed French chef Daniel Boulud and chef de cuisine Sylvain Assié of Cafe Boulud Four Seasons Toronto share a hearty salad recipe featuring kale, romaine, carrots, black olives and golden raisins drizzled in a spiced yogurt dressing.
For the salad:
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch garden carrots medium size, reserve one carrot for thin slicing of chips
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp is for the carrots roasting and 1 tbsp for the kale, romaine and green onion
- 3 pieces green onion, ends trimmed
- 6 to 8 pieces Taggiasche olives
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 bag English breakfast tea
- 1 cup water
For the yogurt dressing:
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp cumin and coriander seeds (toasted and ground from salad recipe above)
- ½ lime, zest only
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toast the cumin and coriander in a pan on the stove over medium heat until aromatic. Remove from pan and allow to cool. Blend fine in a spice grinder and reserve ¼ tsp for the yogurt dressing. Peel the carrots and cut in half lengthwise. Season the carrots with the cumin and coriander spice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in oven for between 10-15 minutes.
- Take the one reserved raw carrot and slice paper thin on a mandolin and deep fry at 275°F until crispy.
- Heat 1 cup of water to a boil. Steep the tea for 3 minutes. Remove the bag and cover the raisins with the liquid. Allow to cool. Strain raisins and discard tea liquid.
- Clean the stems from the kale then rinse and dry. Massage olive oil on kale leaves and add a light coating of salt and pepper. Clean the romaine, cut in half lengthwise and lightly coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill the kale leaves for 1 minute over medium heat. Grill the heads of romaine for 1 minute on each side. Let the romaine cool and cut into 1 inch chunks. Place the green onions on the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Remove when lightly charred and soft cut into 3 pieces.
- For the yogurt dressing, mix all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together well.
- In a large salad bowl mix the carrots, kale, romaine, green onions, raisins, olives. Check the seasoning and adjust.
- Place 1 tbsp of the yogurt dressing in a thin layer on the salad plate and arrange the salad on top of the dressing. Top the salad with the crisp carrot chips.