Cocktail Recipe: Winter Sangria
Make this cocktail a few hours in advance to let the flavors marry.
- 4 cups (1L) red wine (preferably Spanish)
- 4 oz.brandy
- 4 oz. Cointreau or triple sec
- Juice of 1⁄2 a large lemon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 oranges, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- Seeds from 1⁄2 a pomegranate
- 3 to 4 cups cold soda water
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Mix wine, brandy, Cointreau or triple sec, lemon juice, sugar and oranges in large pitcher. Stir with wooden spoon to dissolve sugar, then use spoon to press down on orange slices to release juices. Add remaining fruit and chill.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes, pour in sangria along with some fruit, and top with soda water. Stir and serve.