Homemade PastriesRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
- 200 g store-bought pastry dough
- Flour for dusting
- ½ cup jam or chocolate-hazelnut spread or filling of choice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar (optional)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp water or milk
Directions Yield: Makes 4
Prep: 10 min
Ready in: 20 min (not including cooling time)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch square. Cut once through the center vertically, then once through the center horizontally. Slice two more times horizontally forming 8 rectangles.
- Dollop 2 tbsp of filling onto the center of the four rectangles on the left. Spread the filling, leaving ½ inch space at the edge.
- Whisk 2 tsp water into beaten egg and brush the edges of the filled pastry with egg wash. Lift the opposite pastry over the filling and gently press to seal. Slice off edges to tidy up the pastry and form a seal. Lift pastries onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Crimp the edges of each pastry with a fork. Make 3 shallow slits in the top of the pastries to release steam. Brush with egg wash. If you don’t plan to ice the toaster pastries, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet.
- Whisk icing sugar with water or milk until smooth. Drizzle over pastries.