November 30, 2014
Honey Balls With Crushed Pistachios
It’s best to fry the dough in 2″ to 2 1⁄2″ of oil. This recipe calls for 3 cups of oil, but you may need more or less, depending on the size of your pot.
Yield: Makes 24
- To make dough, in large bowl combine water, beer, yeast and sugar. Let sit until yeast is frothy, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt and stir to combine. Add flour mix to yeast mix; stir well with wooden spoon, 20 seconds. Cover with tea towel and let sit at room temperature until bubbly, 45 minutes.
- To make syrup, combine honey, sugar and water in medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to boil to dissolve sugar, then remove from heat and let cool.
- Heat oil in medium pot over medium heat until handle tip of wooden spoon bubbles when immersed. Reduce heat to medium-low. Scoop 1 tsp dough at a time and carefully push into hot oil with second spoon.
- Fry balls until golden on one side, 3 minutes. Flip and fry the other side.
- Remove balls to cooled syrup. Let soak in syrup for a few minutes, flipping once. Remove to unlined baking tray. To serve, drizzle with remaining syrup and sprinkle with pistachios.