Khachapuri (Georgian Cheese Bread) RecipeRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Food editor Kristen Eppich shares how to make khachapuri, one of our Top 10 Food Trends of 2017.
It’s pronounced “catch-a-puri,” and it’s something you need to know about. This traditional Georgian cheese bread is the brunch dish of the year. Yeasted dough is formed into a boat shape, stuffed with cheese and butter, and baked until pale golden. Then, an egg is cracked into the center and baked until the white is set and the yolk is runny. Oda House in New York put the dish on the map; we’ve cooked up our own version with a simple recipe. Fork and knife, rip and dip: eat it however you like.
- 3⁄4 cup warm water, about 115°F
- 1⁄2 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1⁄2 cup grated Muenster or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta
- 4 eggs
Make Bread Dough
- Pour water into bowl of stand mixer. Sprinkle with yeast, then sugar. Let stand 10 minutes, until yeast is foamy.
- Add flour, salt and oil. With wooden spoon, stir until combined.
- Fit mixer with dough hook attachment and mix on low 1 minute. Scrape down bowl, ensuring all dry bits of flour are mixed in. Increase mixer speed to medium and continue mixing with dough hook 4 more minutes or until dough cleanly comes away from sides of bowl and is smooth.
Let Dough Rise
- Lightly oil large bowl and scrape dough into bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until dough has almost tripled in size, about 2 hours. (This long rise gives dough added flavor.)
- Punch down dough, cover again and let sit 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Turn out dough on lightly floured surface and pat down. Cut into 4 equal-sized pieces.
- Working one piece at a time, form into 6″ x 9″ ovals. Partially roll up sides and twist ends together, creating 3 1⁄2″ x 8″ “boats” with raised edges.
- Combine cheese in bowl. Fill each boat with cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
- Using back of spoon, make well in center of each boat. Crack egg into each well.
- Bake 10 more minutes or until whites are set but yolk is runny. Serve immediately.