February 5, 2018
Kimchi-Braised Short Ribs Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
Short ribs are a classic cut to braise. Sear the beef until it’s deep, chocolatey brown before braising.
Yield: Serves 4
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in large heavy-gauge, oven-safe pot over high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Working 2 at a time, add ribs to pot and sear on 3 sides until deep chocolatey brown, about 3 minutes per side. Do not brown bone side; it helps keep rib intact during braising. Transfer to plate.
- Pull pot off heat. If oil has turned black, discard it and replace; otherwise discard all but 2 tbsp. Let pot cool 5 minutes.
- Return pot to medium heat. Add onions and cook 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add ginger and garlic, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder and sugar, and cook 1 more minute.
- Return all ribs to pot. Add fish sauce, crushed tomato and enough beef stock to come halfway up sides of ribs. Bring to boil.
- Lay parchment paper circle on surface of meat. Cover with lid. Bake in oven 2 hours.
- Remove lid and parchment. Transfer beef to plate. Skim off any fat from top of sauce.
- Stir cabbage into sauce. Return beef to pot. Replace parchment and lid. Bake 30 minutes. Remove lid and parchment, and bake uncovered 30 minutes or until cooked. Beef should be very tender.
- Remove from oven and let sit in pot at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve beef with cabbage. Sprinkle with radish sprouts.