Ask A Chef: Le Killer Chocolate CookiesRecipe By: Dyan Solomon
Dyan Solomon from Olive et Gourmando shares her recipe for Le Killer Chocolate Cookies.
Q: The dark chocolate cookies at Olive et Gourmando in Montreal are outrageous. Do you think they’d part with the recipe? — GLORIA, Kingston, Ont.
A: Chef and co-owner Dyan Solomon says to buy the best chocolate you can find for these cookies — she uses a mix of Callebaut and Valrhona. Keep a close eye on them while they’re baking; they burn quickly.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 1⁄4 tsp baking powder 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk chocolate chips (1⁄2 lb.)
- 3⁄4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (41⁄2 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips (3 oz.)
- 1⁄2 lb. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, diced 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl, mix together chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Place semisweet chocolate and butter in heatproof bowl set over gently simmering pan of water. Stir until melted and smooth.
- In stand mixer fitted with whisk, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla until pale and very fluffy, 10 minutes. Using silicone spatula, gently fold in chocolate-butter mixture. Gently fold in dry mixture followed by chocolate chips.
- Form 1⁄4-cup portions into balls and place on parchment-lined baking trays, 3″ apart. Flatten each ball with palm of hand. Bake in upper third of oven until no longer wet-looking, 9 to 10 minutes. Cool completely. Store in airtight container up to 5 days.