Lemon & Dark Chocolate TartRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 5 hours, including chilling time
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2⁄3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 1⁄2 tsp powdered gelatin
- 1 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
Directions Yield: Makes 1 8”-Diam. Tart
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray inside of 8”-square tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. (If you don’t have pan with removable bottom, grease 8”-square metal baking pan, then line with parchment paper leaving extra at edges for “handles.”)
- Beat butter with sugar and salt in large bowl using electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add flour and beat until all flour is moist and mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Tip into tart pan and press evenly across bottom of pan and up sides. (If not using fluted tart pan, just press crust into bottom of pan, but not up sides.) Refrigerate pastry 30 minutes.
- Place piece of parchment on top of pastry and fill crust with 1 cup dried beans to “blind bake” tart. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove beans and parchment and continue baking 10 more minutes or until golden. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Spread melted chocolate across crust into thin, even layer. Transfer to fridge or freezer until chocolate sets.
- Add sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and egg yolks to medium-size, heavy-gauge pot and whisk until smooth.
- Place over medium heat and add butter. Cook, whisking continuously until mixture thickens and is at very edge of boiling.
- Remove from heat and whisk in gelatin. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup yogurt to mixture and stir until smooth. Pour mixture into tart pan over chocolate layer.
- Stir remaining yogurt to loosen, then spoon and swirl randomly over lemon filling.
- Refrigerate pie until set, at least 3 hours or overnight. Slice and serve.