Mexican Chicken And Lime SoupRecipe By: Eshun Mott
This simple, bright-tasting soup is all about making the most of your flavorful chicken broth and poached chicken, with loads of fresh and crunchy ingredients added just before serving. Taste a little of your jalapeño pepper as you chop it — some peppers are much spicier than others — and then add the amount that makes sense for your heat tolerance.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped, seeded jalapeño pepper (or, to taste)
- 1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced, seeded tomato
- 8 cups Ultimate Chicken Stock
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice (or, to taste)
- 3 cups yellow corn tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Sour cream and lime wedges
Assemble And Cook Soup
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden. Add garlic, jalapeño and oregano, and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add tomato and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, or until flavors have come together.
- Add shredded chicken and let simmer gently for 3 minutes, or until chicken is heated through. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice, and season with salt to taste.
Garnish And Serve Soup
- Divide soup between serving bowls, then top each bowl with broken tortilla chips, avocado slices, radish and cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream and lime wedges on the side.