Mexican Tortilla SoupRecipe By: Amy Rosen
Whip up a batch of weeknight Mexican Tortilla Soup with just a few ingredients picked up on the way home. You’ll be able to enjoy a one-pot meal with a spicy kick in just 40 minutes.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 small shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch sugar
- 2 cups cooked chicken (buy half a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket deli, remove and discard skin, shred meat)
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 Tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- In a large saucepan, melt butter, then add shallots and sauté for several minutes, until tender. Add tomato and jalapeño and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour in stock, then add lime juice and sugar. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chicken and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, add avocado, a handful of tortilla chips and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro to the soup.