Mom’s Mud PieRecipe By: Colin Tooke
Try this recipe from chef and restaurateur Colin Tooke of Toronto hot spots Grand Electric and Electric Mud BBQ.
“The most brainless dessert ever. My mom made this creamy mocha pie on our birthdays. Everyone loves it. Don’t bother with fancy ice cream, because all you taste is the coffee,” says Colin.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter melted, plus more for buttering pan
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in
- 2 tbsp water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate, melted
Prep And Bake Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly butter a 9″-diam. pie pan.
- Combine crumbs, melted butter and sugar in bowl until moist. Press filling into pie shell. Bake until set, about 12 minutes. Place baked shell in freezer to chill.
Make Filling And Chill Pie
- Let ice cream soften slightly.
- Stir coffee into ice cream. Scrape ice cream mixture into cooled pie shell. Drizzle liberally with melted chocolate.
- Return pie to freezer and let set, about 6 hours.