May 29, 2018
Northern-Style Green Curry With Steamed Sticky Rice
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Chef Nuit Regular of popular Thai restaurants Sukothai, Khao San Road, Sabai Sabai, Pai and Kiin, shares her recipe for Northern-Style Green Curry With Steamed Sticky Rice.
If your coconut milk is emulsified, place it in a bowl, refrigerate until it begins to firm up, then scoop the firmer portion off the top for the first step of this recipe.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Pour coconut milk into large bowl and allow it to separate. Scoop out 1/2 cup of thick portion (cream) and reserve. Pour remaining coconut milk into pot and place over low heat.
- In thick-bottomed pan over medium heat, heat oil. Stir in reserved coconut cream. Add curry paste and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until curry paste is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. The oil and coconut milk will separate; this is normal.
- Add bamboo shoot tips and kaffir lime leaves to pan and turn heat to medium. Cook 2 minutes. Add beef and cook 3 minutes, stirring, then add warmed coconut milk. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes, or until meat is just cooked through. If necessary, add a little water to loosen.
- Add chilis and Thai basil. Simmer 2 more minutes. Turn off heat. Add sugar and fish sauce to taste. Serve with steamed sticky rice.
- In large bowl, add rice and pour hot water over it. Allow to soak for 4 hours.
- Drain well, then wash rice in fine-mesh strainer. In pot, add 2″ water and rest strainer with rice on pot rim, ensuring that water does not touch strainer. Bring water to boil over medium heat. Once steam starts to come out of rice, cover with pot lid. Steam for 20 minutes, then serve.