Orecchiette With Tuna, White Beans & RadicchioRecipe By: Eshun Mott
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
This recipe makes the most of quality jarred white beans and tuna, and gets a boost from sweet fennel and bitter radicchio.
- 500 g orecchiette
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 150 g jar Italian tuna in olive oil (drained, oil reserved)
- 540 mL can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small head radicchio, cut into ribbons
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley (packed)
- Salt and pepper
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Heat large pot of salted water on high heat. Add orecchiette and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain, reserving about 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, to large sauté pan add olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and chili flakes, and cook gently for 2 minutes, or until garlic is lightly golden.
- Add fennel and sauté for seven minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. Add tuna and white beans, and stir to break tuna into chunks.
- Add drained pasta to sauté pan and gently toss to combine. Add radicchio, parsley and 1⁄2 cup of pasta cooking water, or enough to loosen. Add reserved oil from tuna jar for extra flavor, if desired. Season well with salt and pepper, to taste.