Pão De Queijo (Cheese Puffs)Recipe By: Eric Vellend
Tapioca starch is derived from cassava, a popular root vegetable in South America. This cheesy snack is like a gluten-free version of gougères (choux pastry buns). Recipe from chef Mario Cassini.
- 1⁄2 lb. tapioca starch (1 3⁄4 cups)
- 6 tbsp whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup grated old orange cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions Yield: Makes 20
- Place tapioca in a medium mixing bowl. In a small pot, heat milk, oil and salt over medium-high heat, whisking to dissolve salt. When it starts to bubble, slowly pour over tapioca while stirring with a rubber spatula. Stir in egg. Mix with hands until soft, smooth dough forms. (If it’s dry, add a splash of milk.) Knead in cheeses. Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1″ balls. Place on tray 11⁄2″ apart. Bake on upper rack until puffed and golden, 25 minutes. Serve warm.