December 5, 2018
Peppermint Brownie Cookies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
These cookies are like eating a cookie and brownie all at once! A touch of peppermint extract and crushed candy cane make these chocolate treats extra festive for the holidays.
You’ll know these cookies are properly baked when they have shiny tops and slight cracking. You want them soft, chewy and crispy on the bottom — so don’t overbake!
Yield: Makes about 28 cookies
- Line 8 inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- In medium-size, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, add butter, sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Melt, stirring often, until butter and cocoa are fully blended (the sugar will remain gritty). Remove from heat and cool slightly until warm.
- Stir in vanilla and peppermint extracts. Add eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition until batter is shiny and thick. Add flour and 1⁄2 cup of chocolate, and stir just until incorporated. Pour into prepared cake pan and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to refrigerator and chill for 2 hours, or until dough is firm.
- Arrange rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. With palms of hands, roll into
1 1⁄2 inch balls and arrange 2 inch apart on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cookies are shiny and begin to crack.
- Remove cookies from oven. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
- In small bowl, melt remaining 1⁄2 cup of chocolate. Dip edge of each cookie into chocolate, then into chopped candy cane.
- Place cookies on wire rack and let sit until chocolate has hardened.