Polenta ShortbreadRecipe By: Eric Vellend
I learned the secret to perfect shortbread when I wrote a story about Lesia Kohut, the owner of LPK’s Culinary Groove, a patisserie in Toronto. Bread flour keeps the texture from getting too sandy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour, plus more for rolling
- 1⁄4 cup corn starch
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling
Directions Yield: Makes 32
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and corn starch. Stir in salt and cornmeal.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and zest until smooth. Stop machine. Add half of dry mixture. Mix on low speed. Stop and repeat with remaining dry mix. Form dough into 1″-thick square. Wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Let dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. On floured surface, roll dough to 1⁄4″ thick. Using desired cutter, punch out cookies. Place on sheets 1″ apart. Prick cookies with fork. Gather scraps of dough and repeat. Cover trays with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle cookies with granulated sugar. Bake until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes.