Pomegranate-Lacquered ParsnipsRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
This simple sauce gives sweet-roasted parsnips a mellow, bitter finish.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 lb. parsnips, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp cold butter
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- Combine pomegranate juice, stock and star anise in pot. Bring to boil. Continue boiling until reduced to 2⁄3 cup, 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice parsnips in quarters lengthwise. Arrange on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast parsnips for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove from oven and add one third pomegranate reduction to pan, turning parsnips to coat. Return to oven and roast 5 to 10 more minutes or until parsnips are tender and coated with glaze.
- Return remaining sauce to heat and bring to a boil. Reduce for 2 to 3 more minutes or until syrupy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in butter until melted, then remove from heat.
- Transfer parsnips to a platter and drizzle with sauce.