Popcorn CookiesRecipe By: Eric Vellend
I got the genius idea to put popcorn in a cookie from one of my favorite food bloggers, Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen.
- 1 80-g bag natural-flavored microwave popcorn
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions Yield: Makes 28
- Microwave popcorn according to instructions on package. Measure out 5 cups, saving remainder for another use. Lay out popcorn on baking tray. Remove and discard unpopped kernels.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour and baking soda. Stir in salt.
- With electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until smooth. Reduce speed to low. Add egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients until combined. Turn off machine. Fold in popcorn with rubber spatula until evenly distributed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop 2 tbsp of dough 2″ apart on trays. Bake until browned at edges, 12 minutes.