Pork And Shrimp Wonton SoupRecipe By: Eshun Mott
When shopping for wonton wrappers, look for ones with egg in the ingredient list; they’ll be less fragile to work with. Wontons can be made ahead and frozen; freeze in a single layer on a tray, then transfer to a resealable plastic bag for storing. One 450 g bag of peeled, deveined shrimp will be enough to make both the wontons and the soup.
- 8 oz. ground pork
- 4 oz. (114 g) fresh or frozen peeled shrimp (any size), thawed and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- 1 tbsp dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 package (220 g) square wonton wrappers
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (stems discarded)
- 8 cups Ultimate Chicken Stock
- 10 oz. (284 g) medium fresh or frozen peeled shrimp, thawed
- 4 cups sliced baby bok choy
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
Make And Cook Wontons
- To make filling, in a medium bowl combine ground pork, shrimp, green onions, sherry (or rice wine), soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper, and stir thoroughly, until ingredients are well combined.
- When filling wonton wrappers, work with only 1 or 2 wrappers at a time; keep the rest wrapped so they don’t dry out. Place 1 teaspoon of filling mixture in center of wrapper. Use fingertip to moisten all edges of wrapper with water. Pull two opposite corners together to form triangle and seal edges of wonton by pressing them together, being sure to press out any air pockets. Then, pull two ends together in front and attach with dab of water. Lay wontons in single layer on tray. Repeat until all filling is used.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully add wontons and boil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they float to the surface and filling is cooked through (meat should not be pink). Remove with slotted spoon and reserve on tray in single layer.
Assemble And Cook Soup
- Heat sesame oil in large soup pot over medium-low heat. Add garlic and ginger, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add shrimp and bok choy and simmer gently for 2 minutes, or until shrimp are just cooked.
- Add wontons and green onions and serve right away.