January 13, 2015
Potato & Artichoke Salad
The potatoes, artichokes and pesto can all be prepared a day in advance and chilled. Dress the salad up to two hours before brunch and serve at room temperature.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- To make pesto, place parsley, capers and garlic in bowl of food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. With motor running, add oil in steady stream. Season with salt and pepper. Place in airtight container. Refrigerate up to 1 week.
- To make salad, place potatoes in medium pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to boil over high heat. Add salt. Reduce heat to maintain simmer. Cook until tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain. Spread out on baking tray to cool.
- Fill medium bowl half full with cold water. Squeeze in juice of half a lemon. Working one at a time, trim artichoke stems to 1/2″. Remove and discard leaves until you reach inner yellow leaves with green tips. Cut off top to remove green tips. With paring knife, trim any green parts from base and stems. Cut in half. Remove fuzzy chokes and purple inner leaves, if any. Rub halves with remaining lemon. Place in lemon water.
- In large saut. pan with lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Drain artichokes and add to pan along with bay leaf, mint, wine, salt and pepper. Cover and adjust heat to maintain simmer. Cook until tender and moisture has evaporated, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer to second baking tray to cool. Discard garlic, herbs and any lemon seeds.
- Place pesto in large bowl. Whisk in vinegar. Add potatoes and artichokes. Season with salt and pepper. Mix. Transfer to serving bowl.