December 14, 2016
Potato Latkes With Smoked-Trout Mousse
Yield: Makes Approx. 20 Mini Latkes
- Pulse smoked trout and shallots in food processor until mixture is coarse. Add sour cream and cream cheese and pulse until blended. Add lemon juice and pulse again. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fold in chives. Refrigerate mousse until ready to use.
- Fill large pot with ice water. Peel and coarsely grate potatoes into ice water.
- Drain grated potato, squeezing out water.
- Transfer grated potato to large bowl and stir in beaten eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Drain excess liquid, if needed.
- Fill cast-iron skillet with oil to about 1⁄8″ and heat over medium-high.
- Working in batches, spoon 1 tablespoon batter into pan for each latke. Reduce heat to medium and fry until both sides are crisp and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add more oil to pan as needed. Transfer fried latkes to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Arrange latkes and smoked salmon on serving platter with prepared smoked-trout mousse, sour cream and garnishes.