Rapini & Sausage PizzaRecipe By: Eric Vellend
If you’re a vegetarian, substituting eight pitted black olives for the sausage will yield equally delicious results.
Rapini & Sausage Pizza
- 4 stalks rapini, trimmed
- 3 oz. Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 8- to 9-oz. ball pizza dough
- All-purpose flour and semolina, for working
- 3 tbsp whipping cream (35%), whipped to soft peaks
- 1 oz. low-moisture mozzarella, diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced red finger chili
Directions Yield: Serves 1
- Bring medium pot of salted water to boil. Cook rapini until slightly underdone, 2 to 3 minutes. Plunge into bowl of prepared ice water. Cool, drain and dry on paper towel. Cut into 2″ lengths.
- Roll sausage meat into 3/4″-diam. balls. Heat 1 tbsp oil in medium nonstick frying pan over high heat. Cook balls, turning occasionally, until lightly brown but not cooked through, 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Place baking stone on rack 8″ from broiler. Preheat oven to 500°F for 30 minutes. When ready to form pizza, turn broiler on high.
- Form and stretch dough into 10″-diam. round using flour as needed. Generously sprinkle pizza peel with semolina. Place dough on peel.
- Spread cream evenly on dough leaving 1″-wide rim uncovered. Brush rim with oil. Top pizza with cheese, rapini, sausage, red onion and chili.
- Using peel, move pizza to oven, and with one quick jerk, slide pizza onto stone. Cook until crust is browned and puffed, and cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove pizza with peel. Transfer to cutting board or serving platter.