February 4, 2015
Rapini & Sausage Pizza
If you’re a vegetarian, substituting eight pitted black olives for the sausage will yield equally delicious results.
Yield: Serves 1
- Bring medium pot of salted water to boil. Cook rapini until slightly underdone, 2 to 3 minutes. Plunge into bowl of prepared ice water. Cool, drain and dry on paper towel. Cut into 2″ lengths.
- Roll sausage meat into 3/4″-diam. balls. Heat 1 tbsp oil in medium nonstick frying pan over high heat. Cook balls, turning occasionally, until lightly brown but not cooked through, 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Place baking stone on rack 8″ from broiler. Preheat oven to 500°F for 30 minutes. When ready to form pizza, turn broiler on high.
- Form and stretch dough into 10″-diam. round using flour as needed. Generously sprinkle pizza peel with semolina. Place dough on peel.
- Spread cream evenly on dough leaving 1″-wide rim uncovered. Brush rim with oil. Top pizza with cheese, rapini, sausage, red onion and chili.
- Using peel, move pizza to oven, and with one quick jerk, slide pizza onto stone. Cook until crust is browned and puffed, and cheese is melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove pizza with peel. Transfer to cutting board or serving platter.