Red Lentil Soup With Mint And LemonRecipe By: Jill Boutros
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or substitute butter)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper or paprika, plus more for serving
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mint, plus more for serving
- 1 cup (200 g) red lentils
- ¼ cup (40 g) coarse bulgar (burghul)
- 4¼ cups (1 l) chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat and sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute. Season with salt and the Aleppo pepper or paprika. Stir in the tomato, tomato paste, and mint and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils and bulgar, then cover with the stock and 2 cups (475 ml) water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle each serving with a little dried mint and Aleppo pepper, along with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.