Roast Chicken With Chickpeas, Bitter Greens & Mini Creamer PotatoesRecipe By: Cory Vitiello
Total Time: 90 minutes, plus overnight brining
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tsp onion powder
- 2 fresh organic chickens (2 1⁄4 – 2 1⁄2 lb. each)
- 3 cups mini creamer potatoes, skin on, larger ones cut in half
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in wedges
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches rapini, stems trimmed
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, strained, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisins
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 sprigs thyme
Directions Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- To make rub, combine all spices in bowl.
- Liberally dust chickens inside and out with rub mixture, making sure all crevices are well spiced. Shake off any excess.
- Using butcher’s twine, tie legs tightly together, then pull string around to front of breast. Tie knot just under wishbone, holding chicken tightly together.
- Leave loosely covered in refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours.
Roast Chickens And Vegetables
- Arrange rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Place potatoes and onion into roasting dish large enough to hold both chickens with extra space. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place chickens on top of vegetables. Bake uncovered 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Carefully lift up chickens and transfer to a plate. Spoon potatoes and onions to one side of pan. Add rapini, garlic, lemons, chickpeas, raisins, rosemary and thyme to pan, then spread out over whole pan, layering potatoes and onions over top of new vegetables. Drizzle with 2 more tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put chickens back on top of all vegetables and return to oven.
- Bake uncovered 40 more minutes or until thermometer inserted between thigh and leg reads an internal temperature of 170°F.
Rest Chickens And Serve
- Remove from oven and let rest over vegetables 15 minutes loosely covered in foil.
- Portion chicken into pieces and serve on platters family-style.