September 2, 2021
Roasted Celery Root Carpaccio
“This is on our menu as a sandwich. Celery root is not the prettiest of vegetables and is typically overlooked. When it’s roasted, it gets a meaty quality and can be easily sliced, almost like a deli meat. This recipe can also be made with carrots, parsnips or golden beets,” says Emmer bakery owner Philip Haddad.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Roast Celery Root
- Peel 85 per cent of skin away, making sure to remove hairy roots. Rub celery root with oil and spices and roast in 350°F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender all the way through. Cool celery root down in fridge until very cold; overnight is best.
Make Salsa Verde
- Finely chop all ingredients and mix together in bowl.
- In food processor, blend garlic, lemon juice and olive oil until paste is formed, then add olives and pulse to achieve chunky purée. Salt, to taste.
- On deli slicer (or by hand), thinly slice celery root crosswise and set aside.
- Spread tapenade on base of plate and arrange celery root, flat, if you are into that, or fluffed up in ribbons, if you desire. Drizzle on Salsa Verde to season celery root. Garnish with parsley leaves and slivers of olives dressed in lemon juice, sprinkle of Maldon salt and drizzle of olive oil.