June 15, 2018
Roasted Eggplant With Zhoug
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
The cook time of your eggplants will vary, depending on their size. To test doneness, gently poke the eggplant; there should be no resistance under the skin.
Yield: Serves 4
- In medium bowl, whisk tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt and cumin. The mixture will become quite stiff.
- Gradually whisk in cold water until sauce thins and achieves consistency of slightly thickened cream. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In food processor, add peppers, herbs, garlic and all spices. Pulse until finely ground.
- Spoon mixture into mason jar and add lemon juice and olive oil. Stir together and season with salt, to taste. Add more lemon juice if desired. Keep refrigerated for up to one month.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Keeping eggplants whole with stem on, rub with oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast 20 minutes, turning halfway through cook time, until very soft.
- Let eggplants cool slightly, then slice a slit down the center of each eggplant (create an opening but don’t cut all the way through).
- Drizzle each eggplant with 2 tbsp Tahini Sauce, 1 tbsp of Zhough (or more for more spice) and 1 to 2 tbsp of grated tomato. Season with salt and a glut of olive oil.
- Serve with flatbread hot, or at room temperature.