March 23, 2022
Salt and Pepper Flank Steak with Quick Tomato Shallot Kimchi
Try this Salt and Pepper Flank Steak with Quick Tomato Shallot Kimchi from the new cookbook, Conveniently Delicious.
“For weekly steak dinners, nothing serves me better than flank. It cooks in mere minutes and, because it comes on the larger side, it’s often big enough to serve the whole family.”
Yield: 4 to 6
1. Remove steak from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Rub with 2 tablespoons of oil, 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper, and set aside.
1. Cut tomatoes in half and place into bowl. Sprinkle remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt over tomatoes and toss. Let tomatoes sit for 10 to 15 minutes to allow juices to drain.
2. Remove tomatoes from liquid and pat dry with paper towels. Discard remaining liquid.
3. In another small bowl, whisk together vinegar, garlic, fish sauce, honey, sesame oil and Sriracha. Add tomatoes and shallots to bowl and toss to coat well. Let tomatoes marinate while you cook steak.
Sear steak and serve
1. Heat large skillet or grill pan over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until very hot. Using paper towels, blot any excess moisture off steak. Rub more oil on both sides of steak. Sear for 5 1⁄2 minutes per side for medium-rare, shifting steak in pan every 2 minutes. Set aside on cutting board and let rest for minimum of 10 minutes.
2. Slice steak against grain into 1⁄2″ slices and lay out on platter.
3. Toss cilantro and sesame seeds with tomatoes at the last second. Serve on the side or generously spoon over steak.