Salted Chocolate Caramel BarsRecipe By: Natalie Van Apeldoorn
These bars deliver a decadent contrast of delicate shortbread and chewy caramel under a roof of bitter salted chocolate.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold, diced
Caramel and chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
Directions Yield: Makes 16 bars
- Lightly grease a 9″ by 9″ baking pan. Line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make crust, combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Mix with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Press evenly into pan. Bake until lightly brown at edges, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from oven.
- To make caramel, combine condensed milk, sugar, butter and syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring. When it comes to a boil, cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Pour over crust. Tilt baking pan to spread evenly. Cool completely.
- Melt chocolate in heatproof bowl fitted over a pan of gently simmering water, stirring until smooth. Pour melted chocolate over caramel. Spread evenly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Cool completely. Cut into 2″ squares. Store in airtight container in cool spot up to 1 week.