Salted Ginger CaramelsRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 9 hours, including resting time
Prep Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups 35% cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup baking syrup, Lyle’s Golden or corn
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped candied ginger
- 1 tbsp fleur de sel or other fancy salt
Directions Yield: Makes 81 Caramels
- Butter or spray 9″-square baking pan. Line with parchment paper, leaving enough to hang over edges of pan and act as handles.
- Combine cream, sugar, syrup and butter in medium-size, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring until sugars have dissolved. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and golden, and temperature reads 248°F on a candy or digital thermometer, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in kosher salt, vanilla and ginger. Pour into prepared pan. Let rest 1 hour or until surface has set. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Let rest at room temperature overnight.
- Lift caramel out of pan using handles and wrap with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container. Store, refrigerated, up to 1 week.
- As needed, cut caramels into 1″ pieces and serve.