Sesame Chicken Thighs With Bok Choy And PlumsRecipe By: Graham Elliot
Celebrity chef Graham Elliot shares a recipe for Sesame Chicken Thighs With Bok Choy And Plums from his cookbook Cooking Like A Master Chef.
- Peanut oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp sambal chili sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp minced fresh chives
- 1 tsp minced cilantro
- 1 ½ tsp finely chopped lime zest
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, preferably organic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Bok choy and plums
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce (I recommend aged soy sauce)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 heads bok choy, trimmed
- 4 plums, pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (see Note)
- For the chicken, pour enough peanut oil into a saucepan to cover the bottom and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the garlic, shallot, ginger and chili sauce, stirring, just until aromatic. Add the soy sauce and stir to scrape up any bits sticking to the pan. Add the vinegar, mirin, honey, fish sauce and Sriracha and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Dissolve the sugar in lime juice and add to the pan. Simmer the glaze for 4 to 5 minutes, until it comes together.
- Fold in the chives, cilantro, lime zest and sesame seeds. Stir to mix and then remove the pan from the heat. Set the glaze aside, covered, until needed.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and rub them with olive oil.
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill so that the heating elements or coals are medium-hot. If possible, use wood to cook this dish.
- Grill the thighs for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, brushing them several times with the glaze. When the thighs are cooked through, dunk them in the glaze and then return them to the grill. Cook for a minute or two, or until the skin is charred and tacky.
- Meanwhile, for the bok choy and plums, in a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add the bok choy and toss them with the dressing.
- Put the bok choy on the grill and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the leaves begin to wilt and char. Using tongs, remove the bok choy from the grill and toss them in a bowl with the plums and sesame seeds. Season with salt.
- Serve the thighs with the bok choy placed on top.
Note: To toast the sesame seeds, spread them in a small, dry skillet and toast over medium heat for 45 to 60 seconds until they turn a shade darker and are aromatic. Take care that they don’t burn.