Shrimp Ceviche TostadasRecipe By: Eric Vellend
The ceviche and avocado can be prepared in advance, but wait to assemble them just before serving.
- 1 lb. (31 to 40 count) raw shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 red finger chili, julienned
- 1 jalapeño pepper, julienned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 36 round tortilla chips
- Cilantro leaves (for garnish)
Directions Yield: Makes 36
- To make ceviche, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add shrimp. Cook until just done, 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to baking tray. Cool completely. Peel and devein.
- In a bowl, combine shrimp, lime juice, onion, chili, jalapeño, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and chill 1 hour, stirring once. Drain off liquid. Stir in ketchup and hot sauce.
- Halve and pit avocado. Scoop flesh into a medium bowl. Add lime juice, and salt to taste. Mash with potato masher.
- To make tostadas, smear a little avocado on tortilla chips. Top each with 1 shrimp and some onion and peppers mixture. Garnish with cilantro.