Skillet Macaroni And CheeseRecipe By: Amy Rosen
This Skillet Macaroni And Cheese is soul-satisfying with sharp cheeses, caramelized onions and a crunchy panko topping. The extra crispy bits that come from cooking it in the skillet help make this mac and cheese a perfect midwinter meal.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium cooking onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1⁄2 lb. dried elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream (10%)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 380-g bag shredded old cheddar (4 cups, 1⁄2 cup reserved)
- 1/2 cup panko
- In a large cast-iron pan (or ovenproof nonstick pan), heat 1 tbsp butter over medium heat then add sliced onion and a pinch of sugar and salt. Cook until onions are caramelized, about 5 minutes. Spread onions evenly around bottom of pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until just shy of al dente, about 2 minutes less than package instructions. Remove from heat, drain pasta and put back into still warm pot. Stir in melted butter to cover all noodles. Add milk, cream, mustard, salt and pepper, and 4 cups cheese, and stir well. Pour into cast-iron pan lined with sautéed onions.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese and then panko. Broil until top is lightly browned, about 1 minute.