Over-The-Top Mac And CheeseRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 75 Minutes
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
This fresh take on mac and cheese was created in honor of our 30th anniversary.
Find more classic House & Home recipes here.
- 3 cups grated two-year-old cheddar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp coarse salt
- 1⁄4 tsp chipotle chili powder, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄8 tsp garlic powder, plus more for garnish
- 10 oz. dried orecchiette pasta, about 31⁄2 cups
Directions Yield: Serves 6
- Place 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar in bowl and reserve for garnish.
- Melt butter in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir with wooden spoon until mixture turns foamy and beige, about 2 minutes.
- Switch to whisk, and slowly add milk, whisking constantly to smooth out mixture. Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 21⁄2 cups cheddar, Monterey Jack, salt, chili powder and garlic powder until cheese is melted. Set aside.
- Cook orecchiette in pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes less than package directions, 10 to 12 minutes or until almost cooked through but still slightly firm.
- Drain, then rinse pasta under cold water.
Assemble And Cook Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter or oil 8″ baking dish.
- Add pasta to pot with sauce and stir until evenly coated. Scrape into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with reserved cheddar and sprinkle of chipotle and chili powders.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes or until bubbling. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.