Smoky Stir-Fried Vegetable Chow MeinRecipe By: Eshun Mott
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
This flavourful vegetable chow mein is a good foil for the spicy wings.
- 1 lb. fresh chow mein noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp chili bean sauce
- 2 tsp chili oil
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, divided
- 4 oz. baby king mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 4 oz. black oyster mushrooms, torn
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 15 oz. Shanghai bok choy, halved and sliced on the bias, stem end discarded (about 6 cups)
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
Directions Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Cook Noodles And Make Sauce
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until hydrated but still al dente. Drain and toss with sesame oil. Set aside.
- In bowl, combine soy, hoisin and chili bean sauces, and chili oil. Reserve.
- Heat wok on barbecue over high heat until smoking. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of canola oil around pan to coat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add red onion. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and bok choy. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until wilted and lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to pan. Add garlic, ginger and green onions, and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Assemble Chow Mein
- Add noodles and toss for 1 more minute, or until noodles are hot. Add sauce and toss to coat. Return vegetables to pan and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes until combined, and serve.