February 2, 2012
The Silver Spoon’s Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
Pancetta mingles with creamy spaghetti in this decadent pasta dish from The Silver Spoon: Quick and Easy Italian Recipes.
Yield: Serves 4
- Fill a large saucepan with 16 cups cold tap water and add the salt. Cover with a lid and place over a medium-high heat to bring to the boil.
- In the meantime, put the olive oil, onions, garlic and chili into a large frying pan and place it over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes before adding the pancetta. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the onion has lightly caramelized.
- Once the water comes to the boil, add the spaghetti and stir it every few minutes to prevent it from sticking together. After approximately 7 minutes, whisk the egg yolks and Parmesan together in a bowl and add a ladle of the pasta water.
- A minute or so before the spaghetti is cooked, take the pancetta and onions off the heat and add the frozen peas.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pan. Add the contents of the frying pan along with the egg and cheese mixture, and mix together. Allow to sit for 2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Stir thoroughly to incorporate everything, then serve with more grated Parmesan sprinkled on top.
See more recipes from Heston Blumenthal.
Reprinted with permission from Heston Blumenthal at Home (2011 Bloomsbury).