Squash Wedges With Spicy BreadcrumbsRecipe By: Eric Vellend
This recipe works best with moist squash such as butternut or acorn. It’s also delicious using the roasted flesh of spaghetti squash.
Sage And Breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 sage leaves
- 6 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp hulled pumpkin seeds, toasted, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp dried chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1-lb. butternut squashes
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp sherry vinegar
Directions Yield: Serves 8
- To make sage, heat oil in medium frying pan over medium heat. Cook sage, turning once, until crisp, 1 minute. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate.
- To make breadcrumbs, pour off 2 tbsp of oil from pan into heatproof ramekin. Reserve for roasting squash. Return pan to medium heat. Add panko. Cook, stirring, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in pumpkin seeds, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Transfer to plate to cool. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
- To make squash, preheat oven to 400°F. Cut squash in half. Scoop out and discard seeds. Cut each half into 4 wedges. Place wedges in bowl with reserved sage oil, salt and pepper. Mix to coat. Transfer to parchment-lined baking tray. Roast squash, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 30 minutes.
- Transfer squash to warm serving platter. In small bowl, whisk honey and vinegar. Drizzle over squash. Sprinkle with cooked breadcrumbs and sage.