March 23, 2022
Try Strawberry Jammies from the new cookbook, Conveniently Delicious.
“These were the most popular dessert at my beloved old café, Delica. They’re rich, tender cakes that are spiked with a bit of almond extract and a sweet swirl of strawberry jam.”
Yield: Makes 14 to 16 jammies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 12 muffin-top moulds with butter and dust with flour.
- In bowl with handheld mixer, or in bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together cream cheese, butter and sugar, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl, add eggs and almond extract and continue beating for another 2 minutes, to until pale yellow.
- In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add half of flour mixture to cream cheese mixture and beat, until just combined. Scrape down bowl and pour in milk, followed by remaining flour mixture, and mix until combined. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Use ice-cream scoop, if you have one, to divide batter evenly between muffin-top moulds. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of strawberry jam on top of each jammy. Use tip of pairing knife or toothpick to swirl jam through batter. Jam spreads when baking, so don’t worry about getting this perfect. Refrigerate batter in between baking and repeat process with any leftover batter.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until cake tester inserted into centre of jammy comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in muffin tin before placing on wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Note: If you don’t have a muffin-top tin, you can bake these in a regular muffin tin – you just might have to add a few more minutes to the baking time.