May 15, 2017
Rhubarb Raspberry Olive Oil Cake
Jackie Kai Ellis, owner of Beaucoup Bakery & Cafe in Vancouver, shares her recipe for Rhubarb Raspberry Olive Oil Cake.
Yield: Makes 1 9" diam. round cake/ serves 6-8
- Scrape seeds out of vanilla beans. Set aside seeds. In saucepan, bring beans plus next five ingredients to a boil. Add rhubarb and remove from heat immediately. Cover and steep 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and cool in fridge until ready to use, up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease a 9″-diam. round cake pan with olive oil and line bottom with parchment.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together sugar, eggs, zest and seeds reserved from vanilla beans on medium-high until mixture is pale, frothy and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together semolina, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add to egg mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Add lemon juice, milk and olive oil, and whisk until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and dot surface with 1⁄2 cup raspberries. Return pan to oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cake is medium golden on top and cake springs back when pressed gently in centre. Remove from oven.
- Strain rhubarb syrup to remove rhubarb, beans and zests, and reserve rhubarb pieces. Drizzle cake with syrup. Cool to room temperature on a cooling rack. When ready to serve, remove from pan, peel off parchment and top cake with rhubarb pieces and remaining 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberries.