Sweet Corn And Cilantro Steamed MusselsRecipe By: Kristen Eppich
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Mussels are the ultimate fast food: delicious, quick to cook and packed with protein and vitamins.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2″ piece lemongrass
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1 small dried chili
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 lb. P.E.I mussels
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Crusty bread
Directions Yield: Serves 4
- Heat butter in 5-qt. pot over medium heat. Peel two outer layers off lemongrass and discard. Bash lemongrass with back of knife to release juices. Add to pot with leeks. Crumble chili into pot. Cook until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add white wine and bring to boil. Cook until reduced by half. Add corn and cream to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until corn is tender and sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon. Season to taste.
- Spoon half of sauce into blender and process until chunky. Return to pot. Add mussels and cover pot. Cook, shaking pot occasionally, until mussels open and are just cooked, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spoon mussels into bowls, discarding any that do not open. Add chopped cilantro to sauce. Ladle extra sauce into bowls and garnish generously with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve with crusty bread.