July 7, 2015
Sweet & Spicy Gazpacho
Little cooking required! For the best result, make this soup 1 day advance to let the flavors develop.
Yield: Serves 4
- Bring pot of water to boil. With sharp knife, score an X on bottom of each tomato, about 1⁄8″deep. Drop tomatoes into boiling water and boil 30 seconds. Remove from water. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and discard skins. Core tomatoes and coarsely chop.
- Combine tomato and 6 cups watermelon in blender and purée, working in batches if needed. Pour purée through fine sieve to remove seeds. Transfer soup to large bowl. Add vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside 1⁄4 cup cucumber and 1⁄4 cup red pepper in medium bowl for garnish. Chop remaining 1⁄2 cup watermelon into a finer dice and add to garnish bowl.
- Stir green onions, jalapeños, cilantro and remaining cucumber and red pepper into soup. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours, or overnight.
For The Garnish
- Break toasted bread into small pieces. Add to bowl with garnish. Drizzle mixture with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste soup for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle soup into chilled bowls. Divide garnish evenly between bowls, placing in center of the soup. Sprinkle with more cilantro.