Thai Chicken Laab Salad WrapsRecipe By: Nuit Regular
Chef Nuit Regular of popular Thai restaurants Sukothai, Khao San Road, Sabai Sabai, Pai and Kiin, shares her recipe for Chicken Laab Salad Wraps.
These salad wraps make a great appetizer, but this recipe is equally delicious as a main, served over steamed sticky rice.
- 350 g boneless chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 tbsp chopped lemongrass
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 8 tsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup uncooked glutinous rice (sticky rice)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or finely chopped fresh chili
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 pieces long-leafed coriander, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 head Boston lettuce, peeled into pieces for cups
Make Chicken Laab
- Wash chicken thighs and pat dry. In mortar and pestle, grind lemongrass to release flavor.
- In large bowl, combine lemongrass, garlic, 5 tsp fish sauce and 2 tbsp oil. Rub mixture over chicken to marinate. Cover and keep in fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Heat heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Add rice. Toast, stirring often, until rice turns golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool. Using coffee grinder or mortar and pestle, grind rice to a powder. Alternatively, put rice in large resealable bag, remove air, cover with tea towel and grind with heavy-bottomed pan.
- Mix remaining 3 tsp fish sauce with sugar, stirring to dissolve. Add lime juice and chili powder. Mix sauce well and set aside.
- Bring marinated chicken to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place chicken on baking sheet and bake 15 minutes, or until cooked through. If cooking on stovetop, in pan heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Cut chicken into small cubes and transfer to bowl
Assemble Salad Cups
- Add lab sauce to bowl with chicken and toss, then add 1 tbsp crushed sticky rice; combine well. Add shallots, coriander and mint and mix lightly.
- Spoon chicken lab onto lettuce leaves and sprinkle with more crushed sticky rice. Enjoy as wrap or over steamed sticky rice.